According to Los Angeles-based KnowledgeBase, Canon U.S.A.'s Systems and Technical Support Division will be the first customer to upgrade to the new version, which includes portal customization, added search options, foreign language support and other features designed to improve KnowledgeBase.net's front and back end functionality.
Applications such as KnowledgeBase have the potential to offer the double benefit of both providing end-users with better service while also reducing support costs. "Self-service applications allow customers to quickly gain access to information without the bother of contacting a service representative, decreasing costs associated with helping customers by phone," said Esteban Kolsky, senior research analyst for customer service and support strategies at Gartner.
KnowledgeBase.net Version 3.0, which is available as either on-premise software or a hosted service, includes three new search options including Subcategory, Wild Card, Exact Word and Stemming searches as well as Smart Synopsis.
The new and enhanced standard capabilities of KnowledgeBase.net 3.0 include the following, according to the company:
- Portal Snap-Ins are designed to enable customers to "snap" their preferred portal features into any Web page without having to launch a separate knowledgebase portal. For example, components such as Search, Top 10, FAQs, Hot Topics, and Solution Finder can be integrated into a desired Web page location separately, according to the company.
- Personalized Portals allow customers to create one portal for various sets of end-users based on entitlements and permissions..
- Batch Uploads are designed to enable thousands of legacy documents to be automatically loaded into a knowledgebase at one time. This new feature assists in the creation of new knowledgebases from legacy systems and documents.
- Enhanced Back-end Searching is now available from within the administration control panel to help administrators and knowledge workers find and edit their documents.
- Article Work-Flow and User Details Reports offer two new ways to help manage the usage, accuracy and performance of KnowledgeBase.net and responsible personnel.
- Dynamic Portal Caching is designed to boost the performance of high-traffic portals. Caching can now be used to reduce the Web-server-to-database transactions and improve page load times, according to KnowledgeBase.
- Storage Area Network Support enables knowledgebase portals to find and serve up knowledge stored in a SAN environment, in addition to Network Attached Storage (NAS) environment making it easier for customers to use their current database and Web page environments in conjunction with KnowledgeBase.net.
In addition to the enhanced capabilities of KnowledgeBase.net 3.0, two new add-on modules are now available:
KB Portal Builder, an add-on component to the KnowledgeBase.net Enterprise Edition, is an API module designed to provide new levels of portal customization. HTML and ASP code can now integrate with any of KnowledgeBase.net's portal, search or article display, according to the company. The KB Portal Builder is sold separately for $7,500.
KB Global Language Pack is also an add-on component to the KnowledgeBase.net Enterprise Edition and now a standard feature of KnowledgeBase.net Hosted Edition. This new addition enables customers to present portals in up to ten different languages. Additionally, customers can store and search for documents in Spanish, French, German, Italian, Swedish, Dutch, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and English. The KB Global Language Pack is sold separately for $10,000.
Pricing for KnowledgeBase.net Version 3.0 is as follows:
Do you have a comment or question about this article or the ASP industry in general? Speak out in the ASP Discussion Forum.