- Promote the site to entice visitors, only to have them find "Under Construction" signs plastered on your pages.
- Use small white type on a yellow background. If customers really want to see what you're offering, they won't mind squinting.
- Use a lot of superlatives in the product descriptions. Customers will truly believe that you offer the very best merchandise at the lowest possible prices.
- Over-promise and under-deliver. Make customers think that you will give them more than they are paying for but fail to come through in a timely manner.
- Don't respond to e-mail inquiries and be sure to subject customers to lengthy telephone hold times. Call center staff should be really rude to customers too.
- Bombard newsgroups, bulletin boards and forums with your shameless self-promotional messages. Make sure your posts contain disparaging remarks about your competition.
- Spam often. After all, who doesn't like to get e-mail?
This may be a tongue-in-cheek look into how NOT to succeed in e-business, but it only takes one negative experience to drive a customer away permanently. Developing and operating an e-commerce site takes time, devotion, research and testing and should not be embarked upon haphazardly. With the proper nurturing and cultivation, you can attract and retain a profitable customer base.
Reprinted from ECommerce Guide