In a recent interview with Enterprise Apps Today, Greg Girard, program director, Merchandising and Marketing Strategies and Retail Analytics, for IDC Retail Insights, said companies are falling into groups of Big Data haves and have-nots, and that those in the latter category will find it tough to remain competitive with those that possess more sophisticated data capabilities.
SAP hopes to address that gap with the introduction of a suite of Big Data services to help companies develop end-to-end capabilities for capturing, storing, analyzing and consuming new data-driven insights. According to the software giant, its Big Data services encompass strategic advisory, advanced analytics guidance, data science consulting and implementation support, all the way through ongoing management of a Big Data environment.
"Big Data solutions create opportunities for businesses to expand sales of existing products, increase the rate of speed they bring products to market, innovate new business models to better service their customers and help reduce operating costs," said Stefan Schoepfel, global vice president, Big Data and Analytics Services, SAP, in a statement. "We are in a unique position to advise customers on how to leverage these opportunities and become Big Data-ready given our decades of experience with Big Data technologies and deep industry knowledge."
Among the available services:
- Business assessment: SAP works with customers to identify and prioritize potential business scenarios to gain an understanding of how their organization can use Big Data to maximize performance.
- Value discovery: SAP leverages the expertise of its data science organization to uncover signals hidden in Big Data that can lead to competitive advantages for the organization.
- Design and architecture: SAP assesses the customer’s current capabilities, works to create a long-term vision and charts a course toward Big Data. In addition, SAP consultants work to securely integrate emerging technologies with existing ones, expand governance processes and define a strategy to fulfill the customer’s needs.
- Big Data platform implementation: SAP experts guide customers through the installation of a platform pairing SAP's HANA relational database management system with Apache Hadoop or SAP IQ software.
- Advanced analytics and application solutions implementation: SAP experts deploy Big Data analytics and applications to help the customer uncover new business potential.
- Management and optimization: SAP helps deploy the solution into an environment that best meets the organization’s needs on premise, in the cloud or via a hybrid model. SAP Services supports preferred deployment options.